CalFresh is a food assistance program which helps poor Califonia citizens with the cost of buying food for their household. To apply For Calfresh Benefits, you needs to provide a SSN and as well meet up with other requirements.
Food stamps are meant for those with low income. You may qualify provided you:
- Have a Social Security Number or apply for one.
- A U.S citizen, U.S. national, or have qualified alien status.
- Must register for work if between the ages of 18 and 60, which may include an employment training program. (Some college students may be eligible as well.)
ALSO SEE: Food Stamps NYC Application
Calfresh Benefits Application Guideline
Normally, it take up to 30 days to process your application. Furthermore, you may be able to get benefits within 3 working days, if you meet one of the Expedited Service criteria:
(1). Your household’s monthly gross income (income before deductions) is less than $150 and your cash on hand
or in checking or savings accounts is $100 or less; or
(2). Your household’s housing costs (rent/mortgage and utilities) are more than your monthly gross income and
cash on hand or in checking or savings accounts; or
(3). You are a migrant or seasonal farmworker household with less than $100 in checking or savings and 1) your income stopped, or 2) your income has started but you do not expect to get more than $25 in the next 10 days.
Requirements Needed to Get Benefits
- Identification (Driver’s License, State ID card, passport).
- Social Security Numbers.
- Earned income of everyone in your household for the
past 30 days (recent pay stubs, a work
statement from an employer)
- Lawful immigration status ONLY for non-citizens applying for benefits (an Alien Registration Card, visa).
- Your address where you live (a rental agreement, current bill with your address listed).
- Medical expenses for anyone in your household who is elderly (60 and older) or disabled.
Once your application has been approved, your county will mail or give you a plastic Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card.
CalFresh benefits are accepted at most grocery stores and other places that sell food.
How To Apply For Calfresh Benefits Online
Provided you are qualify for food stamps, You may proceed to apply for the benefit online.
Visit http://www.benefitscal.org/ and select your county of residence.
Also, you may download the application form online, print and fill it out. Then submit it to your local County Welfare office.
Once your benefits have been approved, you can use your CalFresh benefit to buy almost all foods, and as well seeds and plants to grow your own food. The benefits can not be used to buy alcohol, tobacco, pet food, some types of cooked food.